Skip to main content

Cottage pie recipe


I have recently started making my own Cottage pie with a recipe that I have tweeted to work four our fussy family. I find that a cottage pie is such an Autumn/Winter staple as it feeling like such a warm, hearty meal, one that is a proper comfort meal. 

I recently started making the meal and found that I didn't have a packet mix in so decided to find a recipe to try out, the first one I found sounded good but I changed it slightly to fit our family, Lils isn't keen on fresh onion ad none of us like celery. I thought I would share our recipe with you which can easily be adapted if need be.

Recipe

500g Beef Mince
1 carton of tomato passata 
1 tbs tomato paste
1 beef stock cube
1 beef stock pot
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp mixed herbs
2 medium carrots sliced and part cooked
Salt and pepper
3 large potatoes for mash
75g cheese

Method

1. Preheat you oven to gas mark 4/180oC
2. Brown off the mince and drain off excess oil from the pan.
3. Pour in the passata in with the mince and stir through.
4. Add your tomato paste, garlic granules, onion salt and mixed herbs and stir well.
5. Add both the stock cube and stock pot and mix in until dissolved.
6. Add the carrots, salt and pepper, mix in then simmer from 20 minutes.
7. Whilst this is simmering you can cook and prep your mash.
8. After 20 minutes move you mix into an ovenproof dish and spread evenly.
9. cover the mince mix with mash and spread out.
10. Score mash with fork and sprinkle with cheese
11. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes
12. serve with seasonal veg and gravy

We have grown to love this meal more than ever and I am so glad that I can create something that all the family loves, it also makes me happy that one of my experiments in changing a recipe has come together. I would love to know if you give this recipe a try and how you have changed it if you have.

Victoria x

Comments

  1. I do love cottage pie, it is one of my favourite comfort foods, I love the different variants to how people make it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy the amount of different recipes I have since looked at.

      Delete
  2. When the evenings are dark and it’s cold what can be more welcoming than this delicious cottage pie. The pie looks hearty and delicious,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had cottage pie in ages. Really fancy some now, especially with cheese on the mash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to make cottage pie all the time, but I don't actually remember the last time we made it. It's such a good comfort food for this time of the year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I now have a recipe that everyone loves, think its one of my favourite meals now.

      Delete
  5. That's good timing. It's been so long since I made one myself I have misplaced my recipe. I'll use this as the hubby does looooove cottage pie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cottage pie is always good! I like it with a splash of ale in the beef.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Macaroni Cheese | Recipe and Method

I do love a pasta dish and macaroni cheese is such a comfort food for me, its so easy and simple to make, perfect for a busy evening taking only 15-20 minutes to make. Its one that the whole family can get involved in making and Lils quite often take the whisk off me and takes over! The recipe below will serve four people but we always alter depending on who is having it in our household. Ingredients: - 450g Pasta - 1 litre of milk - 100g flour or corn flour - 100g marge - 280g cheese - 1 tea spoon English mustard - salt and pepper for seasoning How to: 1. Cook you pasta as described on the packet then drain 2. Melt the marge then slowly mix in all the flour 3. slowly pour in the milk and mix well until smooth, it will thicken up 4. Add you mustard and mix 5. Mix in your cheese until melted together 6. Add salt and pepper to flavour 7. mix in your pasta with your sauce and serve with garlic bread It really is such a simple yet tasty meal for all the family, both my girls lo

My mental health

 I don't really know why I am writing this but it may help me or someone else in the future, today I am low, very low, I feel very stuck in a rubbish situation and don't see it ever getting better. At the moment money is tight, very tight and it really is getting me down, I feel like I am letting everyone down. I want to be the best person I can be and the best Mum possible to my girls, I want to be able to provide a good life for them and don't want them to even know that we are ever struggling. I suffer from anxiety but this doesn't feel anything like that, this feels like a have got a weight in my heart, one that feels painful too, its like a constant sinking feeling that drains me too. I am tired and emotional and just had enough and I really don't know what to do or how to even take the next step. I really hope that one day soon we don't have to worry so much, that we can live a little more comfortable and that life gives us some luck as the pas